Friday 27 December 2013

Badly Drawn Boys

Item 41 on my List was to draw portraits of my 2 sons, John and Carl.
I haven't done much drawing lately - 3 years ago I took a Life Drawing class at a local college, but had not picked up a pencil since then.

They did not want to sit still while I drew them, so it was decided I would draw from photographs. Carl gave me a black and white photo of himself, which, unfortunately, I have now mislaid, but I did use it for the portrait. I find it useful to draw from black and white photos, as they show the contrasts and tones better than colour. I had John's photo printed out in both colour and B&W.

I used pencil and soft pastels for the portraits, as I find pastels are easy to use and blend. The colours I chose were not necessarily accurate and realistic, but that didn't matter as much as getting a pair of pictures which reflect my own as well as the boys personalities.


Strangely, they both chose a non-smiling pose, which I think is a pity, since they both have dazzling smiles that light up a room.


Here are the finished drawings, framed and on my wall. I am quite pleased with them, and they have received some praise.
This was a lovely challenge, one of my favourites, and I would like to do some more drawing.
So if anyone wants a drawing done, just send me some photos in colour and B&W and perhaps I will have a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment