Monday 19 August 2013

Pointless Day?

List Item: Try to get on a TV Quiz Show

I rather like tv Quiz show Pointless - the format is good, the contestants seem to have fun, it is fiendishly difficult to win the money, and the banter between hosts Alexander Armstrong and ridiculously tall Richard Osman - who is permanently sitting down on the show - is charming.

Having been told that Pointless was auditioning, I had to find a partner, as it is done in pairs. There are several fans of the show at work, so I asked Vicky first, but she refused even to consider it. I asked Alex, and he agreed immediately, so I got the forms, had photos taken of us (thanks, Jean), and sent them off.

Today (16th April 213) was our audition in London. I met Alex at the train station to catch the 9:18 - he ran up the stairs at 9:17, but we made it on time. As it happens, we got to the venue in plenty of time, so we passed the spare half hour in the Starbucks opposite with a bucket of coffee. Once in the Grand Connaught Rooms, we waited with the other contestants outside the Durham Suite. There were 12 of us, plus some left over from the earlier session still there. The waiting area was a corridor with too few chairs, rather chilly too. Once we were called in, we had to fill in forms regarding identity, and disclosure / consent forms.

Next we had a general knowledge written quiz - it was like an exam, we had to turn over our papers and were given 4 minutes to answer 20 questions. I think I managed to answer 14, they were far from easy. But we did not get the answers, so I can't be sure. Next we all stood up and took turns introducing ourselves, giving an interesting fact about ourselves, which we prepared in advance. Alex was Leicestershire's longest baby for a whole year, and I spoke of my 50 List.

Finally, there was a mini version of Pointless to play in the group. After this, we all went outside, and waited to be called back. Well, guess what? We got called back!

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment